Owning a vehicle is a matter of pride irrespective of the country and city you reside in. But then, you are to follow certain norms that are laid out by the government to drive your vehicle legally on the road. The truth is, running a car in the United Kingdom is indeed quite expensive. You need to adhere to several obligations when riding or driving in this country. You may also search the web for information on ‘tax my car’ to know vehicle tax-related aspects in the U.K.
Important things to consider
- Firstly, all riders or drivers are required to meet specific standards to use their vehicles legally on the roads. A valid and correct driving license is a must. If unsure, then you can avail valuable information from the DVLA. The experienced team will provide knowledge on your vehicle license. Also, you can get to know what does it exactly permits and what is not.
- You need to be of a certain age to drive or ride a vehicle. Also, you are to have specified minimum eyesight to operate any vehicle. It helps ensure driver/rider safety as well as that of other vehicles and pedestrians.
- A qualified driver is to accompany car learners in the vehicle. But the same does not apply to motorcycle learners.
- Learner drivers are to follow certain legal obligations and rules to follow. They need to display very clearly L plates on their vehicle or an alternative D plate that is mandatory in Wales.
- Also are present other obligations applying to a vehicle that is to be driven. Hence, operating a motorcycle or car can be costly in the UK. Vehicle tax is one of them. It is to be paid annually without fail. Just type ‘tax my car in the UK’ and you will get plenty of information on it. Presently, vehicle tax is managed through an online database. It is quite common for vehicle owners to forget their due tax payments. This is because of the absence of a tax disc within the vehicle. Multiple tax disc reminder services have mushroomed to provide reminders on due dates.
- Besides valid vehicle tax, you also need to apply for a valid MOT certificate for your vehicle. The frequency of obtaining this certificate is based on the vehicle’s age. Most owners may require a new MOT every year. This is to prove their vehicle is completely roadworthy. Having an out-of-date MOT certificate will only mean ending up paying hefty fines.
- The vehicle is also to be DLVA certified to be used on the road. Your motorcycle or car is to have at least third-party insurance. This is to safeguard the interest of other road users from damages arising from accidents that you might cause.
Thus, getting to know your legal obligations will allow you to ensure you are on the right side of the law. Breaking any law, even a small one will mean paying fines or/and even losing your license. If you are buying a vehicle for the first time, you should be armed with such information beforehand to make the right decision.
Do a free check reg lookup
Simply enter your license plate number below.